TOP Mountain Motorcycle Museum Special
Bike of the Month: Wall Auto-Wheel, Modele De Luxe 118 ccm, 1914
Towards the end of the first decade of the 20th century, there was a great demand for economic transport - the Wall Autowheel was developed to meet this demand.
Cycling was a popular pastime and a relatively practical means of transport already for the 40 years before the arrival of the Wall Auto-Wheel.
The Wall Auto-Wheel was probably one of the first devices specifically designed to power a normal bicycle. Its first public demonstration was at the Stanley Show in 1909, where it was introduced and marketed by Autowheels Ltd (London).
The model on display in our museum dates from 1914 and consists of a 118cc single-cylinder four-stroke engine with atmospheric inlet and side exhaust valves. The engine is mounted in a sub-frame connected at three points to a normal pedal cycle, with the engine driving its own integral wheel, thus actually creating a tricycle.
Once mastered, it could be ridden at speeds of up to 30 m/h.
As well as powering ordinary bicycles, it was also used in the First World War as a trench pump and to power hospital chairs for wounded soldiers.
The Wall Auto-Wheel is undoubtedly the most important bicycle engine model among the many hundreds of types produced in the course of the 20th century. Its absolutely ingenious design concept in terms of functionality and ease of attachment to the host wheel influenced manufacturers for decades.
This brilliant design of the Wall Auto-Wheel was naturally considered the benchmark for the quality of all subsequent products.
Bike of the month
Every month we present a special motorbike from our museum. Here you will find all the previous bikes of the month, enjoy browsing!